Lenguage

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gerunds and Infinitives





We should know the difference between gerund and infinitive. Because it is a little difficult to use gerunds and infinitives.


We can use gerunds [verb + ing]: after prepositions, as the subject/object of a sentence, after certain verbs.


Example:


  • He gave me the book before leaving. [after preposition]
  • Smoking is a bed habit. [as a subject]
  • I dislike waiting for you. [after certain verb]


We can use “to” + infinitives: after adjectives, to show purpose, after certain verbs.


Example:


  • It is easy to say but difficult to do. [after adjective]
  • I have come here to see you. [to show purpose]
  • We decided to marry. [certain verb]


Here are some verbs that can be used in gerunds


  • Avoid: I avoided talking to her.
  • Dislike: I dislike walking on the street.
  • Finish: He has finished preparing for the examination
  • Discuss: We discussed living together.
  • Enjoy: I enjoy singing.

Verbs like: miss, practice, mind, appreciate, consider, risk, admit, deny, mention, involve, complete etc.


Here are some verbs that can be used in the infinitive with “to”


  • Climb: He climbed to be a singer.
  • Wait: I waited to see her.
  • Seem: you seemed to be nonsense.
  • Offer: She offer to love me.
  • Plan: I plan to buy a new car.



Verbs like: agree, ask, want, promise, hope, learn, manage, demand, choose, refuse, tend etc.

Please click here to know more about the infinitive without “to”

No comments:

Post a Comment