Lenguage

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Simple past.



What is the simple past?


Simple past is nearly similar to the simple present tense, but it has a different rules to make a sentence. It is easy to make a sentence with the past simple, because 'did' never changes with 'he / she / it'. Here is described how to make and use it.

How to use the simple past tense?

We use the past simple to talk about a completed action and state in the past.

we are talking about a definite point in time .

  • I came back yesterday.
  • My father died, when I was a child.
  • He did not agree to the agreement.

we are talking about a indefinite point in time.

  • I came back the other day.
  • My father died a long time ago.
  • He lived in London a long time ago.
we are talking about Often, Always, Sometimes.

  • My mother always read Qur’an .
  • He often saw her in the street.
  • Sometimes I went to her.

     

    Formation of simple past tense.

    Person/number Affirmative Interrogative Negative
    1st person/singular I ate rice. Did I eat rice? I did not eat rice.
    2nd person/singular You ate rice. Did you eat rice? You did not eat rice.
    3rd person/singular He/she ate rice. Did he/she eat rice? He/she did not eat rice.
    1st person/plural We ate rice. Did we eat rice? We did not eat rice.
    2nd person/plural You ate rice. Did you eat rice? You did not eat rice.
    3rd person/plural They ate rice. Did they eat rice? They did not eat rice.

    Note: * Auxiliary verbs in the present simple are “do, does” and to be verbs are “am,is ,are.

    * Auxiliary verb in the past simple is “did” and to be verbs are “was, were.

No comments:

Post a Comment