Lenguage

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The infinitive




Infinitive





Infinitive with “to”/To + infinitive.




We can use “to + infinitive” after adjective.



  • It is impossible to break up easily.
  • He is weak to walk.
  • It is easy to speak English.



We can use “to + infinitive” to show purpose.



  • He came to me to borrow a pen.
  • We came to Malaysia to visit.
  • I have come here to watch a movie.



We can use “to + infinitive” after certain verb.



  • I hope to pass the examination.
  • She agreed to marry me.
  • You decided to love me.


Please click here to know more about certain verbs.





Infinitive without “to”/infinitive.




We can use “infinitive without “to” after perception verb.



  • She heard you close the door.
  • I saw her walk away.
  • We saw the child go away.


We can use “infinitive without “to” after “make”, “let” and “help”.



  • She made me love her.
  • Let us go for a walk.
  • Please help me borrow a book.



We can use “infinitive without “to” after modal verb.



  • He can speak English well.
  • We should leave smoke.
  • Outsiders should not allow.



Please click here to know more about modal verbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment